Phnom Penh is the capital and largest city of Cambodia. It is a center of security, politics, economics, cultural heritage, and diplomacy. The Capital was additionally modified its boundary in four stages. Those stages are:
- 1st Stage: Add up Dangkor District
- 2nd Stage: The creation of Khan Russey Keo
- 3rd Stage: The integration of 4 villages from Kanthork Commune to Phnom Penh territory
- 4th Stage: The integration of 20 communes from 5 Districts (Ponnhear Leu, Mok Kampoul, Khien Svay, Kandal Steung, Angsnoul) of Kandal Province to Phnom Penh.
Phnom Penh is located in the south-central region of Cambodia, at the confluence of the Tonlé Sap, Mekong, and Bassac rivers. These rivers provide potential freshwater and river ecosystems as important resources for sustainable environment conditions, nature’s beauty and a prosperous culture for the people of Phnom Penh City from the past to the present.
Phnom Penh lies in front of the Mekong River, which is the main river in Asia with a length of 4,200km (2610 miles). The original source of the river is from the highlands of Tibet China. The river crosses Cambodia from North to South with a total length of 486km (302 miles) and passes Phnom Penh as an intersection of the river to create attractive freshwater and ecosystems for the city.
The climate is hot year-round with only minor variations. City temperatures range from 18° to 38 °C (64° to 100 °F).
There are two seasons:
- Dry season lasts from December to May (6 months)
- Rainy season lasts from June to November (6 months)
Land Area and Population
|Area||Population||Women||No. of Households||Density||Khan||Sangkat||Village|
|692.46 Km2||1,470,303 people||960,081 people||305,767||2,123 people/Km2||14||105||953|
Please Click here to see the information of each Khan
- GDP per capita is 769 UDS (2009); the GDP per capita for Phnom Penh is 820 USD (2005)
- Investment ៖ ¾ of industrial investments in the whole country
- Transportation ៖ ¾ of the whole country
- Tourism ៖ 950,000 people/year
→ Growth Economic Corridor
- West-East axe ៖ Bangkok-Phnom Penh-Ho Chi Minh (Roads, Railways, Airway)
- North-South axe ៖ Sihanouk Ville (Port)-Phnom Penh-Upper Mekong region (Roads, Railway, Mekong Navigation etc.)